[Avodah] priorities in Talmud Torah

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at yeshivanet.com
Wed May 16 09:02:40 PDT 2007

>From: "Micha Berger" <micha at aishdas.org>
>Subject: Re: [Avodah] priorities in Talmud Torah
>
>On Sun, May 13, 2007 4:38 am, Samuel Svarc wrote:
>: The question was: Everything being equal,
>: what is preferred, learning full time or training for Zaka? Clearly,
>: it's learning that is preferred (sources were previously given).
>
>I must have missed it. I only recall you providing one source, and
>that source isn't about planning one's time, but rather not
>interrupting one's seider. I already argued that one doesn't imply the
>other. Lakol zeman va'eis... So, when it's time to learn, it isn't
>time for Zaka -- unless it's bemaqom she'ein ish. That's not proof
>that it's always time to learn rather than other mitzvos.

Before I give a source (which I will, later in the post) I want to clarify
certain points.

There are definitely things that push off TT. Such as PN, a levayah passing,
a kallah. This is not due to their higher chashivus. If someone can
structure their learning as to avoid this interruptions that is preferred.
There is a clear chiyuv to answer someone's halachic inquiry, to such an
extent that death can result if one is negligent. OTOH, many Gedolie Yisroel
structured their time as to not be physically available at their times of
learning.

So, it's not always time to learn rather then other mitzvos, but this is no
indicator as to preference. For that, one needs to look at other statements
in Chazal where they speak about this. And there are plenty. For example:

Megillah 16b. "Omar Rav Yosef: Gadol TT yoser m'hatzolas n'foshas,
d'miakarah choshiv lay l'Mordechai boser daled, v'lib'sof boser chamishah".
(Look at Rashi there, as well.)

What choice does Mordechai have?! The Gemora terms it "Hatzolas n'foshas".
Isn't that doche everything? Isn't he *required* to close his Gemora? Yes,
but hatzolas n'foshas doesn't come to Torah learning.

There are more sources, but I think this is a good start for discussion.

KT,
MSS