[Avodah] Yeshiva is a Mikva to a Ben or Bat Niddah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 14 14:38:01 PDT 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 10:30 am, T613K at aol.com wrote:
:> I realize this is just R' Yisrael Salanter's rationalism  talking,
:> but leshitaso, are a spiritual pegam and a character defect
:> different things?

: I believe they are two different things, but a spiritual pegam can
: manifest itself in this world in a tendency to have certain character
: flaws.

However, I predicated my question on leshitas RYS. His entire derekh
is based on the notion that fixing one's neshamah is all about tiqun
hamiddos.

I therefore asked if there was still room in his shitah for
distinguishing between spiritual and character flaws. Character is an
operation of the spirit. The character flaw is not a means of being
manifest in this world.

: (BTW can a  mamzer get an aliyah?  Just wondering.)

Why would you think not? He is still chayav in talmud Torah, and he is
still metzrareif to a minyan, so why couldn't he be the vehicle for
the tzibur being yotz'im talmud Torah?

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,