[Avodah] Kasheh lvarrer

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 14 12:29:59 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 8, 2007 9:19 am, Rich, R Joel wrote:
: ... we seem concerned (except for the Rosh) enough not to eat all 3
: pieces of meat when we know one was treif even though it's batel
: brov.

At the same time. Both the Rosh and the Rashba hold we can eat all
three pieces. According to the Rosh, nehepach leheter and this is even
true if all three were cooked into a single chulent, and according to
the Rashba, it is only mutar if they were eaten separately.

: It occurred to me that the difference might be in one case we know a
: treifa existed (it's a dita kamman) where in the other we don't know
: (it's dleta kamman even though statistically likely)

IIUC, you are considering the possibility that kasheh levareir only
applies to a ruba deleisa leqaman. While it is more likely to be
unable to determine an object's state with a ruba deleisa leqaman, I
don't see the motivation for limiting it.

: Has anyone heard of any detail on kashe lvarrer (versus a miut sheino
: matzui etc.)

Kasheh levarrer isn't on the same plane as mi'ut she'eino matzui. One
is talking about the size of the mi'ut. The other is saying that the
thing is far enough from efshar levareir to allow asking the whole
question of rov. If someone can determine whether or not an item is
from the rov, isn't he obligated to do so rather than rely on rov?

RHSchachter is saying that medical scanning is a level of tirchah for
birur (which would still be imperfect anyway) for which one may
instead rely on rov. The size of the rov is a second issue.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,