[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to society

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Tue May 8 07:18:28 PDT 2007

> >Regarding the Chazon Ish, a TUM perspective could well take the view
> >that the Chazon Ish might have been even greater if he had had more
> >secular knowledge (might not have been a daas yachid regarding the
> >nature of electricity for example) - and that it was his lack of
> >secular knowledge and understanding of the outside world
> that resulted
> >in the Chazon Ish never being accepted by the entire Jewish world as
> >the posek hador - so that arguably he did indeed not fulfil
> his mission
> >in life.
>
> I can only quote a Gemara to such an attitude, "If he is judged as not

> fulfilling his mission in life, what hope is there for the rest of
> us?"

But it is also said, that one will not be asked why one was not the
Chazen Ish, but why one was not oneself.  The Chazon Ish (according to
most people) had abilities that far exceed the average (he too fell into
the "out of sight" category) so that he is judged on an "out of sight"
mission.

Just a follow up to this issue. Depending on one's philosophy one could
say that the Rambam did not fulfill his mission in life (fully) since he
spent time on medicine (and philosophy?) or that in fact the CI did not
because of not studying secular knowledge or that they both did because
of differences in their times and proclivities. Personally I'm not at
the pay grade to figure this out for myself let alone for  gdolim.

KT
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.