[Avodah] chumrah of Sefardim

mkopinsky at gmail.com mkopinsky at gmail.com
Mon May 7 04:37:52 PDT 2007

On 5/6/07, Mike Miller <avodah at mikeage.net> wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Ken Bloom <kbloom at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I do this as much as possible. The sepharadi shuls here are makpid to
> > only serve water challah. When I do say hamotzi on sweet challah, it's
> > because I know I usually eat a lot of challah anyway, so I'll probably
> > eat the necessary shiur to say hamotzi regardless.
>
> Are we comparing water challah with sweet challah or egg challah?
>
> Forgive my stepping into my wife's territory (we have an arrangement:
> she kneads challah, I bake (aka time + test) it), but many water
> challah recipes, perhaps most, also call for _some_ sugar. The water
> is in contrast to egg, not sweet.
>
> What exactly is the geder of sweet challah that ROY is referring to?

I have very limited baking experience, but my science knowledge tells me
that all bread recipes will have at least some sugar, or else you'll have
very hungry yeast, and the bread will come out tasting bitter and yeasty.

BTW, it seems that being koveiah seudah acc. to ROY is quite difficult.
216 grams, ROY's shita for kevias seudah, is about 7.5 ounces, or 7.5
slices of regular bread.  That's quite a lot of challah to eat at one
meal. (Though not undoable, just difficult.)

KT,
Michael