[Avodah] Fw: fashion models and opera singers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 3 13:49:42 PDT 2007

On Mon, April 30, 2007 5:37 am, saul mashbaum wrote:
: The mishna says "V'hevi dan et kol haadam l'kaf zchut". This is
: usually taken to mean "Judge everyone favorably." However, one may
: inquire why instead of the word "adam" (cf "Eizehu chacham? Halomed
: mikol adam"). , the mishna writes "haadam".  It is possible to say
: that when considering our relation to someone, and evaluating his
: actions, one should take into consideration the totality of his
: actions ("kol haadam", all of the person), and thus reach a favorable
: conclusion.

Or perhaps we could explain it using Tosfos's he'arah. "Adam"
sometimes means all people under discussion (usually, all Jews), as in
"adam ki yamus ba'ohel. However, they explain that "ha'adam" always
means "all human beings", ie "And it should be that you judge all of
the human species on the [balance scale] cup of merit."