[Avodah] When do the malachim come

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 26 11:21:17 PDT 2007

RTK wrote:
> And I've always understood "the kallah" (=the Shabbas queen) to be  either
> a metaphor/personification of the Shabbos for poetic purposes, or the
>  angel in charge of Shabbos, the way the Sar shel Esav, say, is the angel
> in  charge of Esav.

There is a book by Prof. Reuven Kimmelman etitled Lekhah Doidi veQabalat
Shabbat (Hebrew), where he shows that Lekhah Dodi only makes sense within the
particulars of Rav Mosheh Cordovero's Kabbalah. It is filled with scriptural
idiom and paraphrase, but cannot be read according to the simple meaning of
the quoted verses.

Therefore, it is all the more surprising that it became a mainstay of the
siddur even in communities that tended to vehemently oppose the inclusion of
kabbalistic texts in it.

KT
--
Arie Folger