[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to society

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 26 08:40:23 PDT 2007

On Wed, April 25, 2007 4:48 am, Rt Chana Luntz wrote:
:> I think the only problem from a TuM perspective is that he
:> had no justification for defying the Rambam's ban on living
:> off one's learning.

: I don't think you are right here - that is a Torah u'parnessa
: perspective, not a TUM perspective.

I didn't know it was possible to hold of TuM and not TuP (which, BTW,
should really be called "Torah va'Avodah", as the CI called it -- but
that would confuse former Bnei Akivaniks).

So, to rephrase: I do not think it's a TuM problem for someone with a
cheisheq to learn to choose learning. However, the typical TuM
adherent would have problems on TuP grounds.

I am primarily disagreeing with the question on a more fundamental
issue -- learning isn't about who is the most capable to learn. The
goal of learning lishmah inheres in the ameilus, not the knowledge. I
therefore don't think the question even begins. If he has the
cheisheq, then he has what is necessary to succeed at the tafqid, no
less than his other abilities would make him a good medic.

To be more specific about answering a question that doesn't suffer
this problem may require delving into the various versions of TIDE and
TuM.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,