[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to society

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Apr 25 07:03:22 PDT 2007

  From a TUM perspective, the same level of understanding just cannot be
achieved by remaining in an ivory tower yeshiva setting for one's entire
life, and hence by doing so this fellow has just not fulfilled his
mission in life, which is to develop his understanding to the utmost
extent possible, no matter how hard he works at learning b'hasmadah and
how many mesechtos he is Baki in.

Regards

Chana

Well said but might I add that LA"D that there's an extension that one's
hishtadlut in olam hazeh (be it employment as a Dr. or a plumber;
efforts to feed the poor) informs on his learning in a way that
leverages it as well (or else why don't we all strive for ben azzai's
celibacy). Imho this is true on a philosophical basis (e.g. the flip
side of Rabbi P Paretzky zt"l admonishment to his talmidim - I can't
believe HKB"H will allow a better result in life to one who cuts shiur
to study for finals) and on a practical level (ruba dleta kamman vs. ita
to one who studies probability theory, sociology etc.)
Of course finding the proper balance is a big port of this "mission in
life" and does not lend itself to pat answers.

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.