[Avodah] Religious Zionism, Between Rav Kook and Rav Soloveitchik - by Rabbi Yisrael Rozen, Director of Zomet Institute

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 26 07:40:39 PDT 2007

On Sun, April 22, 2007 4:41 pm, Rt Shoshana L. Boublil forwarded from
Machon Zomet a devar Torah by R' Yisrael Rozen:
: There can be no doubt that the two approaches are not the same! It is
: written, "Chabakuk came and put them all on a single basis" [Makkot
: 24a]. We will also use a single unified basis for the approaches of
: the two rabbis towards Eretz Yisrael. As far as Rav Kook is concerned,
: this is "the start of the redemption," while for Rav Soloveitchik it
: is "a missed opportunity."

RYBS doesn't say the opportunity was missed. Rather, an opportunity we
must make sure not to miss.

Also interesting would be to compare these two to the non-messianic
forms of RZ held by R' Reines and by ROYosef. I believe all three
non-messianic RZs are distinct, but I do not know enough of these two
rabbanim's thought to know how.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,