[Avodah] Self-awareness as a Middah

Yonatan Kaganoff ykaganoff at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 07:06:28 PDT 2007

I have been wondering about the following question and am now posting
it to the Aishdas society to see if anyone has any thoughts on the
matter.

  Is emotional or psychological self-awareness (and I would also
include being in touch with one's emotional/feelings/etc.) considered a good
middah to be acquired like humility, faith, not being angry, jealous,
resentful, or envious, etc.?

  Or could it be considered like a preparation, a hechsher for working
on a middah, like a hechsher mitzvah?

  Or, as a third option, it could be seen a valuable in making a person
into a better or happier person.  And with self-awareness, one can
better be an ovaid hashem.  (But is this just another way of saying a
hechsher middah?)

  I know many people who have self-awareness, but haven't used it to be
better people, but, on the contrary, have used it to justify their bad
middos.

  On the other hand, I have met people who lack self-awareness, but
this has not stopped them from working on their middos, and being very
good people.

  Does anyone have any thoughts on this question?

  Yonatan Kaganoff