[Avodah] When do the malachim come

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 23 16:17:39 PDT 2007

On Thu, April 19, 2007 12:05 am, R Yaakov Moser wrote:
: RHS brings the RMF-RYBS in Nefesh HaRav page 157 - RYBS held it was to
: greet Shabbat, and thus he and other Gedolim in Europe would walk to
: the door to greet the Shabbat bride coming through the door. RMF holds
: it is for the Shechina, which is always in the West, even if the door
: is in another directions. See there for sources.

In Tzefas, where Qabbalas Shabbos was just said, the back of the shul
is generally north. But in R' Shelomo al-Qabetz's day, the doors were
generally in the west, to let in the "light" of Har Meron and qever
Rashb"i. Historically speaking, they didn't just face west, they
actually opened the doors.

So, you should face either west or the door, but not necessarily the
back. My attempt to resolve the machloqes by checking what was done
originally didn't help me much.

The only thing I would add is that since the Mequballei Tzedas often
said Qabbalas Shabbos in the woods, which door would they face then?

The machloqes seems to me to be whether Dodi is the Shechinah, and
Kallah is the neshamah yeseirah, or the other way around. Liqras
Kallah, penei Shabbos haMalkah -- is that the personal transition,
stepping through a doorway (of sorts), or the arrival of the Shechinah
with the celestial event of the setting of the sun?

BTW, the opinion RYM attributes to RMF is also that of the MB
(262:10), citing the Peri Megadim.

Returning to the original question, on Tue, April 17, 2007 4:22 pm,