[Avodah] 10 pieces of Chometz

Chaim G Steinmetz cgsteinmetz at juno.com
Wed Apr 18 08:00:56 PDT 2007

 MPoppers at kayescholer.com wrote

> So far, I can think of two possible answers.  The first one is based
> on
> private conversations I've had with RAM, while the other one just
> popped
> (no pun intended :-)) into my head while reading RaMBaM Hilchos
> Chameitz
> uMatzah 2...
> (2) The language of RaMBaM Hilchos Chameitz uMatzah 2:7 implies that
> the
> custom of hiding 10 pieces is part&parcel of the mitzvah and not
> some
> external aspect.

WADR, the Rambam is NOT referring to the minhog of hiding pieces (which I
doubt he had at all). He is talking about someone who was bodek, found 10
pieces, put then aside, and later found 9 (as in the sugya Psochim 9a-b).
Achronim already point out the "remez" of 10 pieces being mentioned in
the sugya - which has nothing to do with the actual minhog.
Chaim Gershon Steinmetz
cgsteinmetz at juno.com