[Avodah] Peanuts

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Sat Apr 14 02:15:57 PDT 2007

To join the few who remember when peanuts were not yet
kitniyot, I repeat what I wrote to Avodah at least once in
the past:

My family, not very hareidi, used oil on Pesach with a
heksher.  The very chareidi did not trust any oil except
that made by Mr. Zupnick.  The only oil they used was
Zupnick's Peanut Oil.

This year, after the first day at my son's home, we went to
a hotel for the rest of Pesach. A "non-sh'ruya" hotel, r"l.
Having fulfilled the mitzva of kneidlach at the seder and
matza brei at the start of chol hamoed, I managed without
them after that. But, the newly invented peanuts are now
kitniyot and the later addition of soya were not for me. I
thank God daily that they are not yet a universally accepted
Ashkenazi custom. I took with me six peanut macaroons made
with soy bean oil, one for each day.

David