[Avodah] 10 pieces of Chometz

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Fri Apr 6 08:17:29 PDT 2007

In a post I saw via GMane.ORG (presumably, it will be in a digest one or
two issues after V23#73), RCGS replied to RES:

>> ...I've never put out any chometz before the bedika, for two reasons:
1) I'm not worried about a brocha levatala. As you make the bracha before
the search, it's apparent that the brocha is on the search (my rav
concurs on this), not on the actual destruction of the chametz. If it were
the
latter, you'd be making the bracha then rather than when you do.
2) It's possibly self-defeating. What if you fail to find one of the
pieces you put out? <<
> -------------------------------
> 1) Maybe I am missing something, but how is this sevoro any more than
> that which is written in the Kolbo etc., as brought in the poskim in
> Siman 432, and nonetheless many poskim say to do it, as brought in Chok
> Yaakov that "ain levatel minhigon shel yisroel", and search for (other)
> reasons why not to be mevatel the minhog - and in the words of the SA
> Horan "minhog yisroel Torah hu"?
> [Of course, there are those that never had such a minhog, my point being
> that these reasons not to do it are not new, and are brought in all the
> poskim - pro and con].
> 2) Correct. Therefore the poskim write to make sue not to lose any
> pieces...

See http://www.torah.org/advanced/weekly-halacha/5758/pesach.html for a
summary
of this issue.

All the best (including wishes for
a guten Shabbes/Shabbas Shalom uM'vorach,
gut Moeid/Moadim l'Simchah, and
a guten YT/Chag Sameach) from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA