[Avodah] 10 pieces of Chometz

Chaim G Steinmetz cgsteinmetz at juno.com
Thu Apr 5 19:45:02 PDT 2007

[As requested by the mederators, I am fowarding this to Avodah]

 "SBA" <areivim at sba2.com> wrote:

> Are there any here who do NOT have a family minhag to out
> 10 pieces of chometz before Bedikas Chometz?
>
> SBA

 Elliott Shevin <eshevin at hotmail.com> responded:

But I've never put out any chometz before the bedika, for two reasons:

1) I'm not worried about a brocha levatala. As you make the bracha before
the
    search, it's apparent that the brocha is on the search (my rav
concurs on this),
    not on the actual destruction of the chametz. If it were the latter,
you'd be
    making the bracha then rather than when you do.

2) It's possibly self-defeating. What if you fail to find one of the
pieces you put out?
-------------------------------
1) Maybe I am missing something, but how is this sevoro any more than
that which is written in the Kolbo etc., as brought in the poskim in
Siman 432, and nonetheless many poskim say to do it, as brought in Chok
Yaakov that "ain levatel minhigon shel yisroel", and search for (other)
reasons why not to be mevatel the minhog - and in the words of the SA
Horan "minhog yisroel Torah hu"?
[Of course, there are those that never had such a minhog, my point being
that these reasons not to do it are not new, and are brought in all the
poskim - pro and con].
2) Correct. Therefore the poskim write to make sue not to lose any
pieces...
Gut Moed
Chaim Gershon Steinmetz
cgsteinmetz at juno.com