[Avodah] More on Mitzvos and Iyun

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Apr 1 18:51:50 PDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 06:18:34PM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: I think this is a subtle denigration of talmidei  chachamim in general --
: saying that their midos are no better than anyone else's  and that learning Torah
: doesn't improve their midos.   Possibly you  feel a bit sour because you have
: been disappointed by certain particular  talmidei chachamim.  But I don't
: think that as a general rule, it is  accurate to say that Torah learning lishma
: has no effect on one's midos.

Read what the Lithuanian Yeshivos were like. There was a reason a number
of them invited elements of mussar in.

One can be quite learned and not have matching middos.

But my point wasn't about that. It was about there being no rational
connection between lomdus and middos, and thus any benefit would be
metarational -- a choq.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi