[Avodah] More on Mitzvos and Iyun

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Mon Apr 2 05:26:17 PDT 2007

T613K at aol.com wrote:
> RMB wrote:
> >> Lomdus is Torah lishmah,
> knowledge for the sake of knowing Retzon haBorei.  It has no visible
> impact on the middos ....<<
>

> I think this is a subtle denigration of talmidei chachamim in general
> -- saying that their midos are no better than anyone else's and that
> learning Torah doesn't improve their midos.   Possibly you feel a bit
> sour because you have been disappointed by certain particular talmidei
> chachamim.  But I don't think that as a general rule, it is accurate
> to say that Torah learning lishma has no effect on one's midos.
>

> *--*
One of my rebbeim explained the above. If a person truly learns lishmah
than he does not sin and obviously his middos are perfected. However the
actual practical lishmah simply means one is not learning for the sake
of obvious reward or titles. Such a motivation does not necessarily lead
to perfection of middos. RMB's comments are obviously true to anyone who
has spent time in yeshiva. I am surprised that Rav Bulman's daughter
never heard her father make identical statements. It was something that
troubled him greatly and he frequently commented on it. Thus one needs
to differentiate the theoretical possibility of Torah study perfecting
one's middos with the reality that typically it didn't.

chag someach

Daniel Eidensohn