[Avodah] Tzvei dinim to bitel torah

A & C Walters acwalters at bluebottle.com
Wed Jun 20 12:47:13 PDT 2007

Reb Boruch Ber ztvkl"a explains that in bitel torah there are tzvei (two)
dinim; one being shev ve'al taaseh (when one could learn but isn't) and one
being kum v'asay (learning something else actively instead of learning). He
also klers - is the heter to work a d'chiye (dehaynu, there is bitel torah,
but it is mutar in this case) or is there no bitel torah at all. (He holds
the second tzad)

He also brings the Reb Chaim tzvkl"a that Reb Chaim was asked during the war
if he could work in an office to avoid the draft, even though it would
require writing on shabbos. Reb Chaim mattird because pekuach nefesh is
docheh shabbos. A second person asked if he could go to university to avoid
the draft. Reb Chaim paskened that yehareg ve'al yovo (it's minus).

However, to learn secular subjects, not bekevius, by oneself is mutar (as
per the Ram"o YD 246)