[Avodah] Hebrew and Aramaic

Moshe Yehuda Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 18:11:09 PDT 2007

R'n TK:
My guess:  Whoever wrote it lived in a time and place where people mainly
spoke Aramaic but were comfortable with Hebrew too, and switched naturally
back and forth between languages without giving it much thought -- much as
we do here on Avodah.

Going off on a tangent (but still keeping to the subject line) I recently
saw someone write something about love, that "Ahavah" comes from the root
"Hav," give, so that giving leads to loving, etc., etc. (I think this is
well known - I've certainly heard it before, though I can't recall a Mekor.)
Now, isn't "Ahavah" Lashon Kodesh, and "Hav" Aramaic, sort of shooting holes
through this Vort?

KT,
MYG