[Avodah] yishuv EY

SBA sba at sba2.com
Wed May 30 09:51:30 PDT 2007

From: Eli Turkel
SBA: He has sources saying that baalei aveireh SHOULD be oleh to EY?

I suggest reading the writings of R. Kook Senior & Junior on the importance
of the contributions of the chilonim to yishuv EY.
..

So, how do they explain the posuk 'vatovou vatetamu es artzi' ?

>>. While of course neither denies the importance of
mitzvot in building EY both express their hakorat hatov to those
that actually built the land with their physical labor
..

I can understand that.
And so, no doubt we should have similar hakoras hatov for today's
physical laborers, eg, Arabs, Thais and Romanians etc, who continue
 to build the land for us - decades after the chilonim have given up
on this hard slog.

>>The difference is that the talmidim of the SR are mainly in NY state while
>>those of R. Kook are in Yerushalayim. The influence of the various
SR on Israeli thought is nil even within the charedi political parties.

And that makes R. Kook's views 'mainstream'???

In anycase, I doubt  if Satmar and its 'satellites' (who are not only
 in NY state, but in all major Jewish centres - and indeed in EY),
 have any less influence than do the talmidim of R Kook.

Who do you think has more 'influence' in EY, Satmar's 'partners' the Edah
Hacharedis or Merkaz Harav?

Whose rabonim pasken more shaalos and who produces more poskim?

And whenever there are attacks on Torah in EY, who has won more of
these battles - Satmar (I am using that as a generic term for most of
the charedi world) or the Talmidim of RK?

>> SBA thinks Satmar is mainstream because he quotes the Sheloh etc.
>> By mainstream I mean today's mainstream. How many yeshivot in EY learn
>> VM and how many learn the thoughts of R. Kook and RYBS?

First of all, I never claimed that Satmar is mainstream.
You were the one who first mentioned that term:
>>From: Eli Turkel  > In spite of SBA, Satmar is not mainstream psak.<<

My response to that was
>>Mainstream, shmainstream, looking inside the Vayoel Moshe
(pages 236-242) it is quite obvious that this has nothing to do with the
Rebbe's personal psak.<<

I was simply pointing out that the psak of the VM regarding baalei
aveireh making aliyah - is backed by the poskim.

SBA