[Avodah] har habayit

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sun May 27 10:14:16 PDT 2007

Shoshana writes

my brother said that Erev
Shavu'ot he spent over an  hour(!) on the Mount, walking around continuously
with 2 others who knew the exact boundaries.  So, there is apparently quite
a bit of territory to walk, even when going according to the Most Machmir
opinions on where you're not allowed to go! >>

I have no idea what the most machmir shitah is. The Steipler brings a proof
to the shiurim of CI that the width of har habayit (at it narrowest) is just
about
500 amot according to CI shiur. If one accepts this then there is absolutely
no room on the eastern or western sides outside the 500 amot.

Personally I find the CI shiur hard to accept and that the 500 amot is only
subset of the whole area. However those who accept CI cannot walk on the two
sides.
I have never put them together but there are articles in techumin that argue
for a southern or northern
position for the bet hamikdash. Hence I would suspect that if one really
took every shitah
into account that there is not much room left

--
Eli Turkel