[Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to soCIETY

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at yeshivanet.com
Thu May 10 21:53:29 PDT 2007

>From: David Riceman <driceman at att.net>
>Subject: Re: [Avodah] Torah Study vs. other contributions to soCIETY
>>
>Consider the (not uncommon) case of someone who has been studying in
>Yeshiva full time for several years, and one semester takes a course in
>some money making skill.  So, for example, on Tuesday and Thursday
>afternoons he no longer studies in Yeshiva, instead he studies plumbing
>in a trade school.  He is not being m'vatel a seder kavua of talmud
>Torah on those days; instead he is changing his ittim k'vuim so they
>don't include Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
>
>I think it's very hard to find any realistic example of training which
>is prohibited by this halacha.

For some reason, you keep on coming back to "prohibited". You're flogging
the wrong horse :-). The discussion was, what is *preferred*, learning or
training for Zaka? The clear answer that Chazal give is learning (check
are suggesting, that he wants to train for Zaka, tovei alav bracha, he'll
get schar for his training, but learning is preferred.

KT,
MSS