[Avodah] Regarding the Mitzvah to hate evil (was RE: How violent to be)

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at yeshivanet.com
Wed May 9 03:31:40 PDT 2007

Upon the request of the moderators, this thread was moved from Areivim to
Avodah. To summarize the Areivim discussion...

In Areivim Digest, Vol 23, Issue 396, I had written, regarding those people
who can hate things that are real to them, such as terrorism, but for things
that feel ethereal, like religion, it's hard to hate its desecraters, "The
solution for this is not to accept it and to be upset when someone protests
against wrongdoing, but rather to sensitize oneself so that it hurts when
people desecrate Torah and mitzvos."

Rn' Boublil then asked, in Areivim Digest, Vol 23, Issue 399:

"But where does it say that being sensitive to Chilul Shem Shamayim and the
desecration of Torah and Mitzvot equals "hating"?

I still haven't found the Mitzva to Hate listed in the Taryag Mitzvot.

Could you enlighten me as to what number it is?  I must have missed it.

And if so, I would love to learn all about it.

Does it include people who Oveir on d'oraita only -- or also D'rabbanan?

And which current Poseik's decrees in the year 2007 are those that qualify
the transgressors to be hated?"

The following is my response:

>But where does it say that being sensitive to Chilul Shem Shamayim and
>the desecration of Torah and Mitzvot equals "hating"?

Pesachim 113b. "...Rav Nachman bar Yitzchock omar, "Mitzvah Lisnosoy -
Shnemar "Yiras Hashem, Sinas Rah" " "

>I still haven't found the Mitzva to Hate listed in the Taryag Mitzvot.
>
>Could you enlighten me as to what number it is?  I must have missed it.

Sure, look at Sefer HaMitzvos Hakotzer by the Chofetz Chaim, Mitzva Lo-SaSei
78. "Avol im rohi sh'oveir aveirah, v'hisru bo v'lo chozor, harei zeh
mitzvah lisno oyso"

And while we are on the subject of Taryag Mitzvos, could you enlighten me to
the number for Yishuv Eretz Yisroel (YEY)? I missed that one in the Rambam,
Sefer Hamitzvos Hakotzer, etc. It should be clear to those who hold that YEY
is a Mitzvah, that being included in the actual Taryag (according most of
the monim, YEY is not part of Taryag) is not a relevant criteria for being
considered a Mitzvah. This, as well, is the opinion of most of the monim,
who found many more mitzvos then Taryag, and had to "shoehorn" many mitzvos
into one of the taryag. Be all that as it may, *this* mitzvah happens to
actually be one of the Taryag.

>And if so, I would love to learn all about it.

Look at Mishna Berura, Vol 1, Biur Halacha, beginning at the bottom of page
8, where he discusses this L'halacha L'massei. Starting at "apikorsim
hamiskomemim al haTorah...mitzva lisnosom".

>Does it include people who Oveir on d'oraita only -- or also D'rabbanan?

D'rabbanan as well. But this has further qualifications.

>And which current Poseik's decrees in the year 2007 are those that
>qualify the transgressors to be hated?

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly.

1. If you're asking "Who" can determine this, any competent Poseik can.
Whoever one asks the rest of their shaila's to.

2. If you're asking who has actually determined that this applies in our
era, then we can start with the above mentioned MB. Closer to our times
there are p'sokim from R' Elyashiv yblc't. I just recently discussed this
matter with a prominent TC here in Lakewood called R' Gavriel Finkel, so
there's another Poseik (he is a Rosh BD here).

KT,
MSS