[Avodah] Yebamoth and Megilath Ruth

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Mon May 7 10:13:52 PDT 2007

Your point, that l'halacha no son of Naomi could be a yavam to Ruth
is very interesting, I never noticed.  However, I would point out
that in the end Ruth marries Boaz, and the Megillah/m'farshim
clearly connect this to yibum, even though Boaz was only a cousin.
So it would seem clear that there is a concept in Nach of yibum
even with more distant relatives.

Also note that in the story of Yehudah and Tamar, there is clearly
a concept of yibum, even though yibum through the father would not
work (in fact would be assur) min ha'Torah.  And in this case we
see that it really is yibum, since the yerusha is through Peretz.
Of course this is before matan Torah, so some of the mechanics are
different.

The question I would ask is why is this inyan of yibum via more
distant relatives not mentioned l'maaseh today (or is it and I've
just never heard it?)  Possible teretz: if there is a brother who
performs chalitzah, maybe the possibility of a distant relative
effecting yibum is removed.  But it that's the case, then when
someone has no brothers, why shouldn't we encourage a cousin to
marry the almanah?

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu