[Avodah] Ideal World

dfinch847 at aol.com dfinch847 at aol.com
Fri May 4 13:22:35 PDT 2007

Micha Berger writes:

"I seem to recall Aleinu's phrasing of our mission statement is that we
strive to create an ideal world, lesaqein olam bemalkhus Shakkai."

The notion of creating an "ideal world" is an interesting one. It
mirrors the concept of tikkun olam, which is often invoked (albeit not
by the RW) as a Jewish duty to extend oneself to reform the secular
world. From a different point of view, Aleinu's ideal world, like
tikkun olam, has little to do with social unity or reform, either
within the Jewish community or outside of it. Instead, it refers to the
proper process of Talmud, i.e., the construction of an imaginary
utopian agrarian society under rules derived from Gemara. This ideal
world exists only in our heads, as a space within which we can
concretize or "apply" rules that otherwise would remain hopelessly
abstract.

This isn't to say that social unity within the Jewish world isn't
important. Most of us yearn for unity, but we are notoriously bad at
acheiving it, to our great loss. Unity means tolerance, and too many
Jewish true religionists believe that tolerance of apikorsism is
apikorsism itself. I'm reminded of the famous comment by an American
platoon leader in Vietnam: "We destroyed the village in order to save
it."

David Finch
dfinch847 at aol.com