[Avodah] chumrah of Sefardim

Ken Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Fri May 4 12:48:34 PDT 2007

On Friday 04 May 2007 04:01:58 am Eli Turkel wrote:
> In past posts people have discussed various kulot of Sefardim.
> In his latest halacha yomit ROY paskens that a Sefardi is not
> yotzeh with sweet chalah for Lechem Mishneh (and its berachah is
> mezonot). He specifically states that a Sefardi that visits an
> Ashkenazi for shabbat meal has to either request chalah without any
> sugar or else to bring his own challot.
>
> I wonder how many edot mizrach actaually do this?

I do this as much as possible. The sepharadi shuls here are makpid to
only serve water challah. When I do say hamotzi on sweet challah, it's
because I know I usually eat a lot of challah anyway, so I'll probably
eat the necessary shiur to say hamotzi regardless.

ROY is specific that one cannot include other foods to make this shiur,
but one Sepharadi rav here follows RMF in this regard, as he says that
you can combine other foods to make the necessary shiur.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/