[Avodah] Yeshiva is a Mikva to a Ben or Bat Niddah

Madjsolomon at aol.com Madjsolomon at aol.com
Wed May 2 14:26:39 PDT 2007

be clear about what the  ‘pgam’ is and how this can be removed through ‘
immersion’ in Torah study.
The question of  marriage to a Ben or Bat Niddah is not a new one (see EH
4:13, and the comment  of the Vilna Gaon there who explains that this is in fact
not a spiritual  blemish but instead an indication that such a person will
have a deficiency in  character).
It has been  discussed extensively by the poskim (for example Mishne Halakhot
7:211; Shevet  Halevi 3 173.6, 4:162 and 6:129.22; Iggrot Moshe EH 4 4:14 and
23.3; Minchat  Yitzchak 7:107), and some of these opinions have been recorded
and considered by  Rabbi Moshe Weinberger in his ‘Jewish Outreach: Halakhic
perspectives’ pgs.  112-116). There he refers to the ruling referred to on
Avodah of Rav Moshe  Feinstein (source quoted above) and examines the argument
offered that ‘she most  probably had gone swimming in a lake or ocean and in
doing so became permitted  to her husband before the child was conceived’.
However, in addition  to the above sources, important contributions to this
discussion have been made  by Rabbi Moshe Sternbuch (see for example Teshuvot
VeHanhagot 2:627 and 3:389).  In the first source we see Rabbi Sternbuch
struggle with this issue, recognising  that fear of Heaven and learning of Torah are
of great significance. In fact, he  adds that through the study of Torah one
attains Zechut Atzmit. However, in many  ways his arguments here are
inconclusive. Yet in the second source cited,  although discussing marrying someone
whose parents profane Shabbat in public, he  goes further emphasising the role of
Yichus Atzmit and the effect attendance at  (Yeshiva and) Sem can have in
transforming such an individual to becoming a ‘Bat  Talmid Chacham’.
The question whether  Rabbi Sternbuch applies different rules to these two
cases interested me, so  following a letter I wrote to him I called him up to
investigate this matter. He  responded by noting that his arguments in the
second source apply equally to the  first case.
For a more explicit  source that Torah study not only creates a new lineage
and identity for a Ben or  Bat Niddah but in fact removes the pgam completely,
see Rabbi Shlomo Aviner’s  Sheilat Shlomo 6:115, citing Chief Rabbi Unterman
who states that ‘at times the  power of Torah is so great that someone who
studies Torah is able to remove this  pgam from their soul’.
Johnny Solomon  (London)