[Avodah] Modeh betorat Eruv

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Apr 29 07:29:24 PDT 2007

On Areivim, Mike Miller wrote:

> Side note: one of the people in our building recently approached me to
> ask about another tenant. The first individual (let's call him O)
> wanted to make a private eruv for the building, but had some concerns
> about whether another individual (let's call him A) was shomer
> shabbos. I told him that I don't know, I know that A considers himself
> shomer shabbos, even though there are some things he does that I
> wouldn't do, but I believe he's in a category of "Omer Mutar."

Why is it relevant whether he's shomer shabbos?  Surely the relevant
criterion is "modeh betorat eruv", which can easily be tested by asking
him to join in the eruv.  If he agrees, you're OK, and if refuses, then
you know you have a problem.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.