[Avodah] Peanuts and other Kitnios

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:38:13 PDT 2007

I wrote:
> > Barley grows on a stalk - each kernel in it's own bran,
and R' Zev Sero replied:
> Barley isn't kitniyot, it's dagan.

Obviously, :-) but you surely agree that the gezerah/takono/minhag of
kitnios is somehow related to confusing them with dagan (chometz).

Since we're currently discussing "sharvit" I was trying to figure out
how barley & wheat get confused with beans, peanuts and tiny mustard.

> > Peanut pods grow underground in bean-like fashion
> But they're still pods, just like pea pods.  Hence the name "pea nuts".

Actually they look very different and there manner of growing is
totally dissimilar - so where do they get confused with beans and how
do both of them get confused with barley?

> > Mustard grows in flowers with seeds about 1 mm in diameter
> The seeds are inside pods.  I know because I once grew some.

But these must be tiny pods, as these pretty yellow mustard plants are
rather small.

> Zev, posting from Singapore.
- Danny posting from Jerusalem, all puzzled.