[Avodah] The Heter of Davar She Eino Mischavin by a Star-K Oven

Dov Bloom dovb at netvision.net.il
Sun Apr 15 12:09:43 PDT 2007

>Some say that an oven's "window of opportunity" for it not to be a Psik Reisha is almost nil making it impractical to apply the " Fridge door heter"  to an oven. I believe it remains an open Shiala.
>
>  HM

I am not familiar with the specifics of the Star-K ruling but I recall a answer of RMF in R Shimon Eider's Halachos of Shabbos Tishrei 5735 p. tet-vav question lamed-gimel (my translation)

Question of SE to RMF: In our ovens that have a thermostat when the heat button is turned on the fire heats up until it reaches a certain temperature and afterwards turns off by itself until the temperature goes down to a certain temperature and then it turns on by itself. I wanted to know if one can open the door of the oven on Shabbat to remove food when the fire is in the off mode, since I tried (experimented) opening the door and taking out a pot when the fire was off and it took about 8 times taking food out until the fire went on. It would  seem in such a case it a davar she-eino mitkavein and not a psik reisha.

RMF's answer : It seems there is no psik reisha and it is a davar she-eino mitkavein and there is no reason to forbid it ["ein la-asor"]

In the English halachot RSE states : Opening an oven door to remove food is permissible. Even if the oven is regulated with a thermostat it may be permissible if it is not a psik reisha  for the fire to be lit (e.g. if the dial is set at "low" and he does not open the door for a long time) or the fire is on.

So HM's "open shiala" was clearly answered by RMF 32 years ago. Of course someone could argue with RMF but who - of what stature  - and on what basis? Here we saw a psak based on experiment, not theory.