[Avodah] The Heter of Davar She Eino Mischavin by a Star-K

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Sat Apr 14 01:55:00 PDT 2007

Re:  <<when we open refrigerator doors. It is a Davar
SheEino Mischavin and not a Psik Reisha. The fridge motor
does not automatically go on if we don't hold the door open
too long. The same is true for an oven WRT its heating
coils. The big difference is how long the door must remain
open for it to be a Psik Reisha. By a Fridge, it is a lot
longer than by an oven. Some say that an oven's "window of
opportunity" for it not to be a Psik Reisha is almost nil
making it impractical to apply the " Fridge door heter"  to
an oven. I believe it remains an open Shiala.>>

Unless you consider causing a motor to rotate to be its
boneh, how can you compare the two cases?  Does the Torah
state "Lo t'va'aru eish"  or does it say "Lo t'sovev
manoa'"?

David