[Avodah] The Heter of Davar She Eino Mischavin by a Star-K Oven

Elliott Shevin eshevin at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:09:27 PDT 2007

Harry Maryles wrote >The only Heter I can think of is the same one used when we open refrigerator >doors. It is a Davar SheEino Mischavin and not a Psik Reisha...  Some say that an >oven's "window of opportunity" for it not to be a Psik Reisha is almost nil making it >impractical to apply the " Fridge door heter" to an oven. I believe it remains an >open Shiala. It seems to me if the oven flame is already lit when the door opens, you have a counterexample that would rule out psik reisha.  Going in the opposite direction, closing the oven door when the flame is lit will hasten the time when it's extinguished. But again, it's a davar sheeino mischavin and, since it's often not lit when you open the door, not a psik reisha.

I don't see how the refrigerator is different from the oven, except in one trait
the Star-K site mentions: the oven will produce a flame, but the refrigerator's
compressor only produces sparks which might be considered insignificant.
Otherwise, their operation is the same: opening the door MIGHT hasten the
startup of the compressor, and closing it MIGHT hasten its shutting down,
but no psik reisha in either case.

If anything, putting food in the refrigerator is more likely to be hachana, since you
want to preserve leftovers you won't be eating that day; you're much more likely to
be consuming what you've left in the oven on the same Shabbos.
 Shabbat shalom! (I waver between "Askenazis" and "Sephardit" too. Sue me. <g>)
Elly
"Striving to bring Torah Judaism into the 58th century"