[Avodah] The Heter of Davar She Eino Mischavin by a Star-K Oven

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 06:31:13 PDT 2007

(Note to moderators: I'm sending this to both lists since it really belongs on Avodah but it was brought up in Areivim. - HM)

  Elliott Shevin <eshevin at hotmail.com> wrote:
        P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    I've just reread the review of the halachah at their web site, and remain
puzzled by the restriction on closing the oven door (while the oven operates)
on Shabbos while there is food inside. Reigniting the flame isn't what I'm
thinking of when I open the door (nor extinguishing the flame when I close
the door). And I've found that, for the evening meal, food will stay hot
for around an hour even if the oven had been shut off before Shabbos
(for which the "Sabbath feature" is very useful, BTW), so in such a case
additional heat isn't needed.

So couldn't opening the oven door also be a grama lo nicha leih?
  It is a Gramma, Rav Heineman;s protestations to the contrary not withstanding. At least that what Rabbi Shmuel Feurst says. He spoke to Rav Heineman about the Gramma issue and was told that opening the doors and allowing the cool air from the room into the oven which lowers the preset temperature thus (turning on the heating elements) is always delayed by a  sort of computerized delaying switch for 2 minutes. Rav Heimenman says that  this is enough for him to not make it a Gramma. Rav Shmuel Feurst calls this "nonesense" and holds that it's still Gramma.

  The only Heter I can think of is the same one used when we open refrigerator doors. It is a Davar SheEino Mischavin and not a Psik Reisha. The fridge motor does not automatically go on if we don't hold the door open too long. The same is true for an oven WRT its heating coils. The big difference is how long the door must remain open for it to be a Psik Reisha. By a Fridge, it is a lot longer than by an oven. Some say that an oven's "window of opportunity" for it not to be a Psik Reisha is almost nil making it impractical to apply the " Fridge door heter"  to an oven. I believe it remains an open Shiala.

  HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/