[Avodah] 'flicking' [or spilling] wine from the kos

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 05:01:27 PDT 2007

On 4/5/07, SBA <areivim at sba2.com> wrote:
> Anyone here have the minhag of  'flicking' [or spilling] wine from the kos
> when saying 'vo'omar loch bedomayich chayi"
> (as is done by 'dam vo'esh' and the makkos)?

(replying on Avodah at moderators' request)

I think the first question should be: who has the minhag of saying the
pasuk "va'e`evor `alayich" at all, as opposed to only "revava
ketzemahh hasade". I don't remember ever hearing it in England, but
many haggadot in Israel seem to have it. R. Shlomo Gaguine says in
Keter Shem Tov volume 3 that it's an Ashkenazi and Baghdadi minhag. So
who here says it and who doesn't?

BTW, I only just noticed that the order of the verses in the haggada
is reversed: "revava ketzemahh hasade" is Ezekiel 16:7, and "va'e`evor
`alayich" is 16:6. Do any commentaries address this?