[Avodah] halachik status of siddur

Meir Shinnar chidekel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 19:07:03 PDT 2007

Yes, people learn from piyutim - and major rishonim wrote
commentaries on piyutim.  However, this is because that they were
written by people with stature and accepted by the community - not
because the fact it was a piyut in the siddur meant that it was
therefore accepted that any statement in it was halachically binding
and a binding principle of faith...
I would add that the brisker psak is not based merely on the kinah -
but on the fact that a day was not added for gzerot tatnav - and the
kinah gives an explicit reason for what seems implicit in other
sources - and is therefore the proof text.
Meir Shinnar