[Avodah] AishDas and Mussar

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:05:26 PDT 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:17:10 -0600 Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
wrote:
>On Sun, March 11, 2007 10:38 am, David Riceman wrote:
>: I think you're missing something here.  Both mussar and
"chassidic
>: ecstatic experience" use the koah hadimyon as a tool.  The
difference
>: is whether they're aiming to effect the dimyon or the sechel.
There
>: are Jewish traditions which emphasis bypassing the dimyon
altogether
>: and exclusively using the sechel.
>
>You are right, I did underplay the number of derakhim that can't
>be deepened through mussar. Brisk (outside of RYBS and RAS) is a
more
>mainstream example among contemporary O Jews of a derekh that
values
>seichel to the near exclusion of dimyon.
>
>R' Itzele Blazer was physically evicted from Vilozhin by talmidim
>who chanted "A blatt gemara iz de bester mussar seifer."  The
>two worldviews can't be added.

OTOH, the Ramchal, who is the author of _the_ classic mussar sefer,
emphasizes very strongly the seichel (I'm thinking of derech HaShem
here, but it's true of Mesilas Yesharim as well).  So I don't think
that  the distinction can be drawn as sharply as you say.  Even R'
Chaim of Vilozhin wasn't saying that mussar was not a real part of
Torah, he was, IMHO, suggesting that what needed to be learned
could be absorbed by learning gemara.

The question in my mind would be: given the way the Ramchal speaks
of seichel, how do we understand the difference between mussar and
those who insist instead on the pre-eminence of seichel?  Are they
defining seichel differently, or are they really approaching the
same ideas from different sides?

I'm not sure I've given this enough thought for a real answer, but
I'd appreciate you response.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu