[Avodah] Posture/Tachanun

Yisrael Medad yisrael.medad at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 06:17:31 PDT 2007

Akiva asks
Has anyone else noticed this problem, or noticed a pattern which I've
missed? Or am I wrong in my interpretations?

Well, for Mincha, Sefradim do not bend over on their arms but just sit down
whereas Ashkenazim bend over.

Recalling Moshe Chalish's book on Kabbalah-based rituals, one problem with
bending over is it symbolizes a belief of snatching souls out of Gehnna and
is therefore circumspect in places.  Another is that one shouldn't bend over
until after saying the first verse of "vayomer david..." but only with
"rachum v'chanun..." as there exists an implicit expression of proposed
suicide in the first verse.

--
Yisrael Medad
Shiloh