[Avodah] Repetition of Pesukim in Hallel

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Sep 28 19:42:11 PDT 2013

R' Allan Engel asked:
> When we repeat the pesukim at the end of Hallel, we say the
> entire pasuk twice, with the exception of the passuk "Ana
> Hashem Hoshiah Na, Ana Hashem Hatzlichah Na", where we repeat
> the first half of the pasuk before saying the second half.
>
> I am aware of the gemara in Arvei Pesachim (119a) that says
> that the structure of this pasuk is "call and response", ie the
> second half is a reply to the first, but this is also true of
> the other pesukim, such as "Baruch Habba Besheim Hashem,
> Beirachnuchem Mibeis Hashem" which we say in its entirety before
> repeating.
>
> So why do we say this pasuk differently?

This used to bother me too, but I've been working on it for a few years.

I don't have a complete answer, but it seems to me that in certain circumstances, repetition of words or phrases is a useful tool for emphasizing certain portions of the speech, in order to better convey the message. I can't explain exactly how "... hoshiah ... hoshiah ... hatzlicha ... hatzlicha ..." is more meaningful than "... hoshiah ... hatzlicha ... hoshiah ... hatzlicha ...", but it seems to me that IS more meaningful, and that's why the custom evolved to say it in that manner.

I think that some people (and this used to include me) are overly machmir against repetition. I reached this conclusion upon realizing that it does happen in Tanach, and not too rarely. Here are some of the more common examples:

"Hashem" is repeated in the 13 Midos.
"Kadosh" is said 3 times in Kedusha.

One might respond to these that each occurrence has a difference nuance of meaning, but that is exactly my point. Words are repeated for exactly this purpose, and there's nothing wrong with that.

In Hallel: "Yosef Hashem aleichem, aleichem v'al b'neichem."
In Hallel: "... ani avdecha, ani avdecha ben amasecha ..."

In this light, I see absolutely no problem with the way many shuls sing the last line of Avinu Malkeinu: "Avinu Malkeinu, chaneinu va'aneinu" - and then going back to the beginning of the line. The first four words constitute a complete thought, and can stand on their own, and are enhanced by being followed with the entire line.

Akiva Miller