[Avodah] Dance, dance, dance!

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Sep 25 08:01:06 PDT 2013

   The question has been raised why we dance with the Torah on Simchas Torah and
   why not on Shavuos. After all, Matan Torah is a major highlight of Judaism. One would
   expect to dance with the stars (every portion of the Torah) when the Torah was given.
   The answer I have given is rather simple. When we received the Torah, we said na'a'seh v'nishma,
   accepting it blindly and having no idea what was in store. But after we read and studied it --
   finishing it was a major achievement. THEN we could dance, which would explain why we dance on
   Simchas Torah and not on Shavuos.

    I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself.
    Mikhail Baryshnikov