[Avodah] LeiSheiv

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 25 10:18:18 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:55:57PM +0300, D&E-H Bannett wrote:
> And that reminds me of an aberration I've seen. Someone who made kiddush
> while standing, sat down to make leisheiv basukka and then stood again
> for shehecheyanu.

> Leisheiv in the b'rakha has nothing to do with sitting but with residing.

I dunno.... I have enough confidence in leshon haqodesh to believe that
homonymity is significant. Both are called yeshivah because we either
do or should consider sitting and dwelling related.

Sitting is qovea. E.g. some Sepharadi qehillos sit when putting on
tefillin as they only make one berakhah on both, and by sitting they
connect the donning into one big rite. They hold that if one were to
get up, the person would need to make a second berakhah like Askenazim
do.

So it may well be that sitting is considered a minimal unit of dwelling,
even if not a necessary component.

Tangent:

Other Sepharadi qehillos, as well as many chassidim (including SA haRav),
bedavqa stand up after putting on the shel yad for putting on the shel
rosh. This is based on the Ari.

This is all observational. I assume Rt Chana will show how this is a
SA vs Ben Ish Hai issue (given the qabbalah angle to standing just for
donning a shel rosh) or something.

To tye (yes, I punned on purpose) in another thread with a tangent^2:

When one is the only person with a different minhag about sitting or
standing while tying, the Banum Chavivim pp 189-190 says that R' Chaim
Kanievsky holds one should follow their own minhag. Whereas Be'er Moshe
vol 7 pg 190 and Ohr leTziyon 2:3 fn 12 says to conform.

> Moadim l'simcha,

Chagim uzmanim lesason!

Micha Berger             The mind is a wonderful organ
micha at aishdas.org        for justifying decisions
http://www.aishdas.org   the heart already reached.
Fax: (270) 514-1507