[Avodah] HaMelech Hakadosh

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Sep 21 18:16:55 PDT 2013

Cantor Wolberg wrote:

> To me it would be obvious that it is invalid since it is the
> converse of the halacha. ...
> In other words, if 'hamelech hakadosh is specific for the aseres
> y'mei t'shuva and doing the usual 'hakel hakadosh' instead would
> render it invalid, then the converse would also be true. If it
> were not so, and doing the 'Hamelech hakadosh' after the aseres
> y'mei t'shuva didn't invalidate the tefilla, then the hamelech
> hakadosh during the ten days, would lose its essence.

If I'm understanding correctly, then the explanation you're giving is similar to what R' Micha Berger posted, which he described as "symmetry" - mutually exclusive alternatives.

But it's not necessarily so. I've always thought "HaE-l Hakadosh" to be a general term, and "Hamelech Hakadosh" to be an amplification of it. In other words, that "Hamelech" *includes* "HaE-l". Were it not so, then we would be missing something during AYT which is present (and possibly required) during the year.

Similarly, it is difficult for me to imagine that one who says "HaMelech HaMishpat" during the year would have to go back to correct it. Even though it is actually fewer words than usual, it is -- hmmm, how to phrase this? It is a more powerful, and more inclusive comment than merely "Melech Oheiv Tzadaka Umishpat".

I thank R' Simon Montagu for citing the Kaf Hachaim, who explicitly says - for both of these brachos - that one who says the AYT version during the year does NOT need to go back.

Akiva Miller