[Avodah] HaMelech Hakadosh

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 18 03:01:54 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 09:09:03PM -0400, cantorwolberg at cox.net wrote:
: To me it would be obvious that it is invalid since it is the converse
: of the halacha.

If someone (presumably someone who doesn't daven standard Ashkenaz) says
"morid hatal" in the winter, he does not have to repeat the berakhah.
It is only someone who omits "mashiv haruach umorid hageshem" altogether.

However, someone who says "... umorid hageshem" in the summer instead
of his usual "morid hatal" does have to go back.

(See OC 114:4 and the Beis Yoseif.)

The reason is that praising Hashem for the weather in the rainy season
is critical. Keeps one from taking credit for how their crops are growing.
Remembering rain in particular is superior, but not mandatory.

OTOH, rain in the dry season is a sign of Divine Displeasure. (Not as much
as rain tonight on Sukkos would be.)

Symmetry is not a given.

Perhaps you can argue that the SA's silence on the issue of "haMelekh
haQadosh" during the year implies he held it was symmetry, but I don't
think the SA is complete enough for that deduction.

For example, he discusses the Israeli in chu"l on yom tov sheini, but
not the other way around, and acharonim argue about what Maran Bet
Yosef would hold.

With berakhos that Hashem makes it easy for all of you and all of BY
to fullfil vehayisa akh sameiach,

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter