[Avodah] Eating = Hefsek?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Sep 16 09:56:29 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:35:31AM -0400, Michael Kopinsky wrote:
:> For reasons much of the chrevrah know, I bring tea with me to shul every
:> Shabbos and Yom Tov...

: When are you allowed to drink? Even in the middle of shemoneh esrei?

Well, since it's rare that silent Shemoneh Esrei alone is enough to
generate actual pain, I don't drink then. I therefore don't recall the
guidelines in this regard (as they're unused) exactly enough to repeat
them here. It just would feel to strange not to hold out. After all,
I'm not drinking non-stop, 24x7!

But where it really comes up: my LOR did tell me I could choose to
sing Keil Adon and Qedushah along with the chazan even if it makes it
likely I would need to drink before Shema or during Chazaras haShatz
(respectively).

I also think that given the commonality of Chazanim sipping water to
make it through Yamim Noraim, one would have to ask why rabbanim hadn't
made a big deal about it before now -- at least, none that I heard of.

Micha Berger             Here is the test to find whether your mission
micha at aishdas.org        on Earth is finished:
http://www.aishdas.org   if you're alive, it isn't.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Richard Bach