[Avodah] shma kolenu

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Sep 13 15:01:45 PDT 2013

On 13/09/2013 8:14 AM, Eli Turkel wrote:
> I found later that some of the commentaries on the Mateh Ephraim
> explain that the pasuk is in singular as the opening to shmoneh esre.

You mean the closing.

> Since in shma kolenu it is in plural it should not be said by the
> entire congrgation out loud. Instead we say that one phrase quietly
> so it is similar to being in singular

So why not say it in the singular?  We change it to the plural davka so
that it refers to all of us collectively; so why not say it aloud?

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to