[Avodah] shma kolenu

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 05:14:48 PDT 2013

<<To my mind, this isn't the part that sticks out. We always say "yehi
leratzon imrei fi" quietly. Most even have the chazan opening chazaras
hasha"tz by saying it quitetly. And it's in the singular, meaning it's
something I'm saying for myself, not for the tzibur. So why would we
proclaim it together congregationally?>>

I found later that some of the commentaries on the Mateh Ephraim explain
that the pasuk is in singular as the opening to shmoneh esre. Since in shma
kolenu it is in plural it should not be said by the entire congrgation out
loud. Instead we say that one phrase quietly so it is similar to being in
singular

--
Eli Turkel