[Avodah] How many Korban Pesachs could be sacrificed in 1 day?

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at mail.gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 10:22:12 PDT 2013

Please see my comments inline

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 11:47:50AM +0300, Marty Bluke wrote:
>: How it is just tight? as I pointed out there are only 3 groups for
>: Korban Pesach meaning that the groups consist of 400,000 (or more). Do
>: you really think 398,000 people can fit in 1500 square meters?

> I don't think the frequency of 95 per sec is a problem, given enough
> teams doing qorbanos. E.g. there are

When you combine this with the Gemara that you quoted later that they only
said Hallel 2 or 3 times this is very problematic. How long could they
possibly be saying Hallel for? Enough time to be Makriv 400,000 korbanos?
It doesn't sound like each group took that much time.

> 1- The Yisraeli didn't stay for the full shift. They came in, joined
> the choir for Hallel -- or maybe were saying Hallel elsewhere -- made
> their way in a parade past the kohanim, and continued back out.

That is not what it sounds like from the Gemara. The Gemara states that
once everyone was inside they locked the doors. It sounds like no one went
in and no one went out during that time. In any case how does that help?

> But as RET mentioned, even fitting 12mm people in Y-m is a problem.

> 2- This is the same neis as tzar li hamaqom or hishtachavayah.

> But as Lisa noted, we need to know why bowing was mentioned and not
> this. I don't find this a show-stopper question, since it's proof by
> ommission. Maybe we'll find that medrash among the Cairo fragments;
> Chazal took it for granted we'd put 2 and 2 together; or whatever
> other excuse we could make up.

This would be some Nes, much greater then the bowing.

The problem with this answer is that not only doesn't it appear in Chazal
but it doesn't appear anywhere in the Rishonim or Acharonim. That would
strongly suggest that this isn't the answer.

> 3- Guzma.

Why?