[Avodah] Rambam on False Messiahs

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Aug 28 15:54:39 PDT 2013

On 28/08/2013 6:46 PM, Micha Berger wrote:

>>>In the same sense, one could say that decision that BK wasn't mashiach
>>>wasn't made until about the time R' Aqiva left the cause.

>> AFAIK the Rambam doesn't hold that this happened.  His shita is that BK
>> was killed not because of "his sins", but because of "sins", i.e. those
>> of the generation which meant they didn't deserve him.

> I don't think one can mine the Rambam's halakhah book for what he
> thought HQBH was planning when.

What I meant was that AFAIK the Rambam doesn't hold that R Akiva ever left
the cause.  He doesn't hold of the whole story that BK sinned.  In his
version BK died a tzadik, "like all the whole and fit kings of the House of
David who died".  The entire story that we have in our gemara, of BK straying
and the Chachamim abandoning his cause, never happened according to him.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to