[Avodah] self defense against rape or assault

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Wed Aug 28 07:17:54 PDT 2013

I asked:
> How would it be possible for someone to beat me in a manner
> which would not cause me to be justifiably afraid for my life?

I was not clear enough. I'm not talking about a few punches of the sort that certain people might shrug off as "teasing" or "bullying" (it being clearly understood that such punches cannot be condoned in any sense).

I was referring to a situation where the attacker shows no signs of stopping, and the victim is unable to escape. If the thought of using deadly force even enters the victim's mind, then he is most likely already past the point where deadly force would be unjustified or inexcusable. The victim must not be made to waste time calculating the least objectionable option. Chayecha kodem.

Akiva Miller