[Avodah] self defense against rape or assault

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Aug 27 18:59:11 PDT 2013

R' Mordechai Cohen asked:

>> I was asked if one halachically allowed to kill an attacker to save yourself from being raped or beaten?
>> Perhaps this is only theoretical because practically (except for father on child) one can assume that they may try to kill as per Bah b'machteres?

I don't understand why you're distinguishing between theory and practice. How would it be possible for someone to beat me in a manner which would not cause me to be justifiably afraid for my life?

I can't imagine this in a rape case either. "Even" if the threat of violence is "only" psychological, and not physical, (a) the psychological factors alone might very well be at a Pikuach Nefesh level, and (b) the degree of control exercised by the rapist is probably severe enough to make the victim justifiably afraid for his/her life.

Akiva Miller